Table of Contents
How-To about Twitter for Android
- How to get the App
- Basics: Homepage, Timeline, Mentions, Favorites, Retweets and More
- Sharing Photos
- Universal Search, drafts, and geo.
- Profile information
- Scanning Contacts
- App Settings
- Direct Messages, Lists, and More!
Frequently Asked Questions about Twitter for Android
- Is it Available for my Version of Android?
- I have multiple accounts. Can I be logged into all at once, and toggle between them?
- How do I sign out?
- How do I view my follower requests? (Protected accounts only)
- How do I remove the app or move it to my SD card?
- How do I get the app to remember where I left off in the timeline?
- Why aren't my notifications and sync setting saving?
- How do I shorten URLs?
- Why isn't my timeline automatically updated when I open the app?
- Why aren’t my mentions or messages automatically updated?
How-To about Twitter for Android
How do I get the App?
- In the Android Market (just search for Twitter)
- On http://mobile.twitter.com (click the Download Twitter for Android link on the bottom of the page.)
- Scan the handy QR code below:
- You can add multiple accounts to the app easily! Just press the menu button on your device from the homepage and select Accounts
- Select Manage Accounts from the pop-up menu
- Select Add Account from the settings page
Homepage, Timeline, Mentions, Favorites, Retweets and More
- At the top of your homepage, you will see icons for your Timeline, Mentions, Messages, andLists. These appear directly below the black bar with the Twitter logo.
- Your Favorites and Retweets can be found under the Lists section. Looking at your timeline you will see icons on Tweets indicating they are Retweets or Favorites, like the starred Tweet, below.
- If you tap on @replies or mentions, you will see a button that says In reply to.
- Tapping the In reply to button will bring up the original Tweet that is being replied to.
- Tapping an ordinary Tweet allows you to Reply to it, Retweet (RT) it, or mark it as a Favorite.
- Click on the photo icon when you are composing a Tweet
- Select a photo to upload
- You will see a status bar while the photo uploads
- Once the upload is complete, a link to the photo will appear in your Tweet!
- To view photos in Tweets, tap any tweet that has a photo link.
Universal search and Trending Topics
- You can access Search and Trending Worldwide easily! Either tap the search icon at the top of the screen or press the search button on your device.
- As you type a search term, you will see options to search Tweets, Nearby, or People. You will also see these options as different columns at the top of the search results.
- You can also save searches by pressing the menu button from the search results page and tapping Save Search.
- You can now see local Trends! Trends on your the Android app reflect what you have set on the web.
- Join in on a Trending topic by simply tapping the Tweet compose button while looking at a Trending timeline. Your Tweet will automatically include the Trending Topic!
Save as drafts
- If you write a Tweet but do not want to share it yet, simply press to the back button to exit the Tweet composer and a pop up will give you the option to Save to Drafts.
How to go to the Top of Your Timeline
- Viewing older Tweets and don’t want to have to scroll all the way back to the top? Just tap the Timeline icon at the top and you will automatically jump to the top of your timeline.
How to Add a Tweet as a Favorite, Reply, or Retweet
- Want to Fav, Retweet, or Reply to a Tweet? Just tap the Tweet and chose from the icons that appear or swipe the Tweet to reveal the same icons.
How to use Geo Location
- Tap on a Tweet with a location tag and a small map will open in the Tweet. Tap the map and a full sized, detailed map will open with a timeline of other nearby Tweets.
How to Follow a User
- Following others is easy! Just tap on a Tweet and then tap on the profile pic to open their profile. Shortcut: just swipe a Tweet and tap the profile icon to open their profile!
Using a widget?
- When you first install the widget you can decide which account you want to display Tweets for, as well as if you would like the widget to show Tweets from your home timeline or mentions.
- Tap on the Tweet displayed on the widget to open that Tweet within the app. You can favorite, retweet, and @reply, or press the back button on your device to take you to your home timeline.
If you visit your profile page, you can:
- see and edit your profile information (including avatar)
- check out your @mentions
- access your Lists, Retweets, and Favorites in different columns
Scan Your Contacts
- You can scan your Android’s contacts anytime by tapping the search icon or pressing the search button on your device and scrolling to the bottom of the search page. Tap “Scan your contact” to see who you already know is on Twitter! If you are unable to scan your contacts, please check to make sure you Twitter account has been added in your device’s accounts list and the option to “Sync Twitter data” is enabled.
Settings and Push Notifications
You can set your Notification and Auto-Refresh settings through the settings menu. Notifications appear in the status bar on your device.
- The Automatic Refresh settings will update your home timeline with new Tweets depending on the time interval you have enabled for while you are running the app.
- You can also customize your font size and image upload service through this settings menu.
Direct Messages, Lists, and More!
- If you go to someone’s profile, you will also see a “tools” icon next to the Follow/Unfollow button, which will allow you to DM (if you follow each other), Add to list, Block or Report spam.
- You can compose DM’s from your DM timeline by tapping the compose Tweet icon. You will see the option to either compose a Direct Message, or a regular Tweet.
F.A.Qs about Twitter for Android
Is the app available for my version of Android?
- The Twitter for Android app is available for phones running Android 2.1 and above.
- Older versions of Android (1.5, 1.6) are incompatible with Twitter for Android.
- All Android devices can use our Android-optimized mobile website at http://mobile.twitter.com
I have multiple accounts. Can I be logged into all at once, and toggle between them?
- Yes! Twitter for Android supports multiple accounts.
- To add another account, just go to your settings and tap “add account.”
How do I sign out?
- Removing your account from the application effectively signs you out; there is no sign-out button on Twitter for Android.
- You can remove you account through the settings page. Just select an account you wish to remove and tap “Remove account.”
I have a protected account. How do I view my follower requests?
- Viewing follower requests is not currently an option on the Twitter app for Android.
- Please use the web to view and approve follower requests.
How do I remove the app or move it to my SD card?
- Twitter for Android is included as a bundled application with version 2.2 of the Android Operating System (Froyo); it cannot be uninstalled or moved to SD card.
- The option to move to SD would only move the application itself (1.89mb), not the data while using the app. The good news is that the app now automatically clears this data ever couple of hours!
- If on SD, the app will lose your login information.
Why aren’t my mentions or messages automatically updated?
- The automatic updates setting only applies to your home timeline. You will still need to pull down to refresh your mentions and messages.
How do I get the app to remember where I left off in my timeline?
- When you exit the app, press the home button. Pressing the back button will exit the app but also reset your timeline position.
Why aren’t my notification and sync settings saving?
- When you sign out of the app or clear data from the application settings on your device, the notification and sync settings will revert to their defaults.
How do I shorten URLS?
- URLs are automatically shortened. Just start typing http:// and the character counter will deduct 19 characters and freeze until the URL is finished.
Why isn’t my timeline automatically updated when I open the app?
- Automatic Refresh settings will update your timeline if the app is open or running in the background. If you leave the app and reopen, just pull down to refresh the timeline. This feature is to help preserve timeline position when you close and reopen the app.