With the overgrowing popularity of eBook readers, the future surly aims to bring much more mobility when carrying out books and notes and as well as allows you to spend less to get the same information as the electronic waiver spending on printing and distribution. For those who have recently entered to this new world and trying to find out an easy way to edit or convert books to digital formats compatible with eBook readers, Sigil might be of great help. Those who owns a eBook reader should pay attention to Sigil, which shows a good option when creating or editing EPUB files, one of the most popular formats used by these devices. Because of the user friendly interface comparing with similar types of programs the same category, Sigil allows anyone to use it easily. More to read.
Besides allowing the user to read EPUB files (eBook format for eBook readers) in their PC, the program lets you turn text into the EPUB format, one of the most commonly used formats by digital scanners. So there is no need to stay stuck to finding files distributed paid or free over the internet. Sigil has a similar interface of most traditional text editor, bringing commands like copy, paste, underline passages or adjust the font on the top of the screen. That is, if you have short-term experience of using any Word Processor or even Notepad, you will be able to adapt the application easily.
However, the highlights of this software are those unique tools that allow to convert any document into EPUB format and let your read them in your eBook reader. Your can create a new document, draw it’s layout and make a brilliant design to make this document into an attractive eBook. In addition of creating totally unique designs, you can import TXT, HTML documents and covert them to EPUB and make any necessary changes.
To facilitate the editing of the texts, Sigil has two different interfaces. In one, the user changes the text displayed as in an ordinary text editor, and the other can move directly into HTML, which offers more accuracy when setting paragraphs and chapter divisions.
The program also has tools to highlight specific parts of the text, determine line breaks or even insert chapters and illustrative images. Moreover, you can enter complete meta data on the book such as it;’s author, year of release or issue which the text corresponds and more.
- Online Sigil User's Guide, FAQ, and Wiki documentation
- Free and open source software under GPLv3
- Multi-platform: runs on Windows, Linux and Mac
- Full UTF-8 support
- Full EPUB 2 spec support
- Multiple Views: Book View, Code View and Split View
- WYSIWYG editing in Book View, supporting all XHTML documents under the OPS specification
- Complete control over directly editing EPUB syntax in Code View
- Table of Contents generator with multi-level heading support
- Metadata editor with full support for all possible metadata entries (more than 200) with full descriptions for each
- User interface translated into 15 languages
- Spell checking with default and user configurable dictionaries
- Full Regular Expression (PCRE) support for Find & Replace
- SVG support and basic XPGT support
- Supports import of EPUB and HTML files, images, style sheets, and fonts
- Documents can be validated for EPUB compliance with the integrated FlightCrew EPUB validator
- Embedded HTML Tidy: all imported files have their formatting corrected, and your editing can be optionally cleaned
- Native C++ application
Sigil is after all an useful eBook editor that allows you to create or edit any text documents it simple text format, rich text format, WYSIWYG mode or even HTML mode. Sigil is a open-source freeware tool works on Windows, Linux and Mac.